Statistics from Altmetric.com
The recent article of Yiu et al1 aims to compare the functional and anatomical outcomes after idiopathic epiretinal membrane (ERM) surgery either ‘alone’ or when ‘combined’ with a cataract surgery. We feel that the design of this study is fundamentally flawed, however. In order to adequately compare these groups, the ‘alone’ group should remain phakic for the duration of the study. In this paper, the ‘alone’ group were already pseudophakic in 67.5% of cases (27/40) at recruitment, and a further 10% received surgery for lens opacification at a separate date. The authors have, therefore, compared single session combined surgery with sequential individual surgery (primary cataract surgery with late ERM peeling) in 77.5% of cases. Furthermore, all …
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.