Aim To determine whether there is a significant correlation between the reduction in macular vessel density and the recurrence of macular oedema in eyes with branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO).
Methods We reviewed the medical records of 27 eyes with macular oedema associated with BRVO. All eyes had received pro re nata intravitreal ranibizumab (IVR) injection. A reinjection of ranibizumab was performed when the central foveal thickness was ≥300 µm. At 12 months, patients without additional IVR for the last 4 months were placed in the resolved group, otherwise they were placed in the recurrence group. The macular vessel density in 3×3 mm area centred on the fovea was determined by optical coherence tomography angiography.
Results At 12 months, 11 of the 27 (40.7%) eyes were placed in the resolved group and the other 16 (59.3%) eyes were placed in the recurrence group. The mean macular vessel density reduction in the resolved group was 17.60%±7.88% and that in the recurrence group was 8.12%±7.48% (P=0.0042). The mean number of IVR injections in the resolved group was 2.1±1.1 and that in the recurrence group was 5.1±1.2 (P<0.0001). In all eyes, multivariate analysis showed that the reduction in macular vessel density was significantly and negatively correlated with the number of IVR injections (β=−0.6746, P=0.0028).
Conclusions A reduction in the macular vessel density was significantly correlated with the number of recurrences of macular oedema associated with BRVO.
Statistics from Altmetric.com
Contributors Involved in design and conduct of study: TH. Data collection: TH, SM, AK-K. Analysis and interpretation of data: TH, SM, IM, AK-K, TI. Writing: TH. Critical revision: TH, SM, IM, AK-K, TI. Approval of the manuscript: TH, SM, IM, AK-K, TI.
Funding This research received no specific grant from any funding agency in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests None declared.
Patient consent Detail has been removed from this case description/these case descriptions to ensure anonymity. The editors and reviewers have seen the detailed information available and are satisfied that the information backs up the case the authors are making.
Ethics approval The Institutional Review Board of Tokyo Women’s Medical University Hospital approved this retrospective review of the medical records of the patients.
Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed.
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.